Coding is also useful for dealing with and sensitizing of environmental and climate change issues.
It could be used to explain specific notions to young people.
What is a food chain?
- A food chain shows how plants and animals get their energy.
Different elements of a food chain:
- Producer- A food chain always starts with a producer. This is an organism that makes its own food. Most food chains start with a green plant because plants can make their food by photosynthesis.
Consumer- A living thing that eats other plants and animals is called a consumer.
Focus Group : What is the food chain? Give me one example ? Do you think that coding could be useful to protect the planet and to develop sustainable farming?
You can use sticky note for participants as they can write and share their ideas.
Read the article "Call for Code challenge urges developers to create sustainable tech solutions" as a basis for the discussion.
Code your own program that "create a scratch animation that will illustrate and explain a food chain" .
Your code should…
- display a simple animation of a food chain of your choosing to illustrate food consumption in the natural world using correctly timed sprites, backgrounds .
Follow the step by step instructions that you can find under documents in resources.
You can also show the videos in resources to show that technology and coding can be useful in agriculture and the fight against global warming.
Congratulation, you are now able to make your program with scratch that will illustrate and explain a food chain!
The ability to code computer programs is an important part of literacy in today's society. When people learn to code in Scratch, they learn important strategies for solving problems, designing projects, and communicating ideas like the food chain concept. Indeed as we saw with this module, it could be helpful to explain the food chain concept.
Finally, you realize that coding could be useful in several areas like farming or protecting the planet . If you have more time, you also can watch the video about "how humans disrupted a cycle essential to all life" in resources to sensitize young people.
Next step :
Practice, Practice and Practice!
Continue to learn about coding with scratch. You can test the other modules to feel more comfortable with this topic
- You should be able to create a sprite using scratch’s library or by uploading an image.
- You should be able to design a backdrop.
- You should be able to have many sprites on the stage at the same time, interacting with each other
- You should be able to alter the timings of when each sprite appears to create a simple animation